Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tossing it in




It is an admirable attribute, to never give up. Sometimes I think that knowing when to quit is just as valuable. I say this because I have just quit poetry, which is something that I never thought I would do. I have written it since I was nine. It has brought me more pleasure than anything I know. It has coloured my every thought and statement. But I have had to admit to myself that I write it really badly and that it is a waste of time and energy to keep doing it. I love it so much that I'd rather not do it all than do it badly.

It's like I've had my spleen removed. Sure it's an important attractive organ, and sure I have to make some adjustments but I'm not going to die. And no one can tell. THe scar's covered, the disadvantages of not having a spleen - or writing poetry - are invisible to onlookers. The recovery time is a few weeks but I suppose I'll see the scar forever.

Anyway, the declaration was important. Now I can concern myself with things that I am good at and use photographs to prove it.

2 comments:

  1. But remember for those who have had their spleen removed, they still need potions (well antibiotics) to keep them well until they shuffle off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! You make a very perceptive observation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete